Friday, January 21, 2011

Jan. 21: "Joy for Joy''

It was almost 10 o’clock and I turned in my seat to see if Joy had made it to class.

Until last week, we had sat next to each other, and it was on that basis that we were ordered to be “friends.’’ Our geography professor figured that having a designated friend would be of value in the event that we ever had to miss a class. Our friend could share the notes we missed.

But last week, I arrived at class a little later than normal to discover that someone else had taken “my’’ seat next to Joy. No big deal. I just moved a couple of rows closer to the front of the class – the front row, in fact.

So that’s why I had to turn to see if my friend had made it to class.

She arrived just as the professor was beginning our lecture. “I’ve got some news,’’ she whispered quickly. “I’ll tell you after class.’’

I assumed she was going to tell me how she did on our last map quiz last Wednesday. The scores were posted early Friday morning, apparently.

I was relieved to learn that all of my answers corresponded with all of the questions this time. That means on two map quizzes, I’ve answered 39 of 40 questions correctly. So, I’m doing pretty well.

Oddly enough, I’ve had no tests or quizzes in any of my other classes. So I’m a Phi Beta Kappa as far as it goes and as far as I know.

Our lecture was on the physical characteristics of the Planet Earth. I’m not going to refer to my notes here, but – if memory serves – 70 percent of the earth is covered by water. The other 30 percent is covered with Walgreen’s Drug Stores.

When the class ended, Joy rushed down to where I was collecting my stuff. Old people take a lot longer to get there stuff together after class, by the way. Most of my peers were out the door as though the gates had sprung open at the Kentucky Derby and they were the horses everybody was betting on.

Before she could say a word, I knew that her “news’’ was something far more interesting than the results of the most recent map quiz.

There was a shine in her eyes that is reserved for something truly wonderful.


“Look!’’ she said, thrusting out her little hand.

And on that little hand, on her little ring finger there was a little ring with a cluster of little diamonds.

“We’re engaged!’’ she blurted out happily, as if I would not have been able to figure it out.

It’s funny how joy can be contagious, huh?

All at once, I was smiling and pressing her for details as if I were one of her sorority sisters. Pretty funny, now that I think about it.

Her boyfriend, whose name I know but can’t remember, popped the question on Monday night. She had not expected it. Turns out, he hadn’t, either.

“We were just hanging at his apartment and all the sudden he does it,’’ she said, beaming. “He said he had thought about doing something elaborate, but the feeling just came over him that this was the right time. Can you believe it?’’

She furrowed her brow.

“Gosh, this is going to be complicated. I still plan to go to Chattanooga (for grad school) (what’s his name?) wants to go to grad school. He’s thinking maybe he should wait for me to finish and get a job instead then go later, but maybe he could get in the Master’s program there, too. Oh, I don’t know. It’s all so complicated.’’

But her expression gave her away. The wrinkled brow had dissolved into a broad smile and her eyes sparkled with delight.

You know, when you are in love there are no really big problems.

I used to feel like that, not so awfully long ago.

I can still remember that feeling, though, and Joy’s news made me think of those happier times.

I had mentioned that I have not taken any tests in my other classes. But I did get one score: The speeches we gave on Tuesday were graded. I got my results back during Thursday’s class – a perfect 25 out of 25.

The professor’s notes said that my material was good and she thought my pauses were effective and well-timed. “Watch your time!’’ She said. I ran over by two seconds. Sheesh!

So the academics are going well and my friend is a happy little girl.

It’s been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment